“May the holy will of the good God be done in all of us! Above all, let us stay firmly anchored therein all the different events of our lives.” ~ St. Julie Billiart
Off Campus Service Learning Opportunities
The Service Learning Project is the basis of the Senior Capstone Project for 9thand 10thgraders. Every time our students go out to serve others with their God given gifts at a Notre Dame sanctioned service, they should wear ND color, attire, etc. Pride in their school and connection to each other reflects the Gospel: “See how they love one another.” This is what grew the Church in the beginning.This is what still grows it today.
Our Service activities are as follows. In order to participate, each student must have completed a waiver signed by their guardian/parent, either at the start of the year or now.
• Tuesdays after school we take a van to Center for Life in East Salinas, where students tutor youth from 3-5 p.m. This is under the direction of L.I.F.E. To learn more about this ecumenical program, or if you would like to volunteer please visit, www.lifeisforeveryoneinc.org.
• Wednesdays after school we take a van to Madonna Manor where the students assist the elderly women with their bingo games and whatever else is taking place. It’s an opportunity for students to share their joy and compassion, and to receive it as well.
• Thursdays after school in Room 3, in keeping with One School,One Book - The Dressmaker of Khair Khana, we offer an opportunity for students to sew, knit, crochet, spin, tie blankets, etc. to give to the organization/person of their choice. For students who want to learn how to do these crafts, this is the place to come and learn.
• On the 4thThursday of the month we take a van to St. Theodore’s Church in Gonzales. There the students load large bundles of rice and beans for delivery to the migrant camps near Soledad.
• On the 4th Saturday of the month we take a van from Billiart Hall at 7:15 a.m. and go to Dorothy’s Place to prepare and serve breakfast to the homeless. Donations of pastries, fruit, cereal, juice, and/or eggs, are always welcome. Dorothy’s Place has an additional waiver form which participants need to sign.
Center for Life and Bitten Falge Farm Workers Food Delivery program are all carried out in conjunction with Palma School and provide opportunities for the students to serve together.